Voting is a right of all Americans and the way we, as a democracy, determine the direction of our country. It is the responsibility of every voter to be prepared to vote and to educate themselves on the issues and candidates. The Sarasota County Democratic Party is ready to assist voters by providing information on candidates and issues, giving rides to the polls, and helping obtain absentee ballots.
All voters in Florida can check their voter status by visiting registration.election.myflorida.com at any time. You can also check the status of receiving your Vote By Mail ballot, which must be requested every two years.
- Be a United States citizen
- Be at least 18 years old (17 year olds can pre-register)
- Be a legal resident of Florida
- Be a legal resident of the county
- Not claim the right to vote in another county or state
- Had voting rights restored after (a) being convicted of a felony or (b) adjudicated mentally incapacitated with respect to voting
Register to Vote
In order to vote, a Florida Voter Registration Application must have been obtained, completed, and filed with the Sarasota County Supervisor of Elections (SOE) at least 29 days before the election.
To be able to vote in an upcoming election, you must have registered before the particular election’s closing date which is usually 29 days before the election. The exact day can be found on the SOE web site, www.srqelections.com. Check with the Supervisor of Elections office to verify your status if you are newly registered.